How to store live objects in Monticello?

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 13 06:24:06 UTC 2007

Bert, and everyone else who replied, thanks!. A few notes inline:

On 2007 February 12 07:21, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2007, at 4:07 , Milan Zimmermann wrote:
<<snip>>
> > Is it possible to, somehow, to make Monticello to keep the
> > instance, so it is
> > deserialized from the MCZ when the MCZ is loaded into the target
> > image?
>
> I'm not sure that is a good idea, but in principle, yes, this is
> possible.
>
> MC is extensible, it asks each class in the package it is going to
> store for its "classDefinitions". You can return an Array with
> multiple definitions, not only the MCClassDefinition that is usually
> returned. You could try to add a special MCDefinition that would
> represent a serialized instance. Might be quite hard, though.

This is quite intriguing, this sounds like with such extension, MC could be
used to maintain code as well as serialized objects! I looked at
MCClassDefinition, but it seems at this point the MC extension you described
is beyond my reach, time and skill wise it seems :(

> Much easier would be to use a SAR that can bundle an MCZ with any
> other files.

I was trying to avoid shipping files around, and had everything nicely working
holding the projects as string in an instance, only to be torpedoed by my not
realizing I cannot ship the instance in a MCZ  - right now I am trying to
convert the contents of the "project in string" into a literate ByteArray
that I would paste into a method and return it as String. In this view, using
sar, or adding the .pr file into the MCZ manually as you suggested in another
email, sounds like less of a hack than what I am doing :)

Thanks for your comments, Milan