Shout problem was: Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:08:20 UTC 2007

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Rollandin" <lecteur at zogotounga.net>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

> Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> > key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
> >> order, if i type too fast.
> >

> > I've noticed this using shout; I suspect it's a process synchronisation
> > bug.
> >

> yes, I have this too at times. quite annoying indeed, and definitely
> shout-related (well that's the only bug in this wonderful package).

I suspect that the caret position is sometimes not being correctly preserved by
Shout, and so, although key events are arriving in the correct order, some of
them are "pushed" into the text at the wrong position.

I have been running with the new Win32VM and haven't noticed this problem
myself.
Could you confirm if this only with the new Win32 VM, or also with the old VM?

Could you also say which version of Shout you are using (a Monticello browser
will display this).
You might try loading the latest Shout from SqueakMap (Shout.3.15-tween.66), and
see if you still have the problem.

And which base image are you using - i.e. 3.8, 3.9, Squeak-dev-72, etc.

Finally, if anyone has an image that exhibits this problem, then I would be very
grateful if they could ftp it somewhere so I can pick it up and investigate
further.

Cheers,
Andy