3D desktop

Adrin adrin at ic.cz
Wed Feb 14 09:02:31 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge napsal(a):

> On 12-Feb-07, at 10:28 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>
> I actually dislike this - the movie has been a round for a while and
> it hasn't grown on me. 'messy desk' might have been a reasonable
> metaphor years ago in order to get people used to the idea of
> windowing computer interfaces but it isn't actually a *good* idea.
> This particular version is nothing more than making a video game out
> of moving stuff on your screen.
Well, I agree. But it shows something interesting in UI. I call it
live-gestures (maybe exists better name). It is different from summoning
gestures where drawing symbol call out some functions. It dynamically
shows what is happing during drawing the gestures and this gestures are
similar to touching a thing. No magic. No drawing symbols. Just
touching. I think Grail was first program that uses this kind of
gestures. No menu is needed for most actions. Menu could be there, but
gestures are shortcuts.

>> another interface:
>>
>> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006
>
> This on the other hand is actually an improvement in the UI. We tried
> to do a little of this multi-input stuff years ago on the ActiveBook -
> at Bill Atkinson's urging I believe - but had to do it via two quite
> separate input devices so it was never really very convincing. It will
> of course require non-trivial changes in how we arrange our hardware
> to be useful . Nobody is going to spend a day at work having to hold
> fingers up to typical displays and typical portables would need
> noticeable changes.
>
> The shared aspect may turn out to be a major win as well. Imagine
> traffic control systems working like the demo, where a group of
> controllers can handle the traffic by moving objects around to block
> or permit access to airspace, direct to holding patterns, see the
> progress of all the traffic, etc etc.  Or perhaps group reviewing
> code, making scribble notes, passing blocks of code/notes around. Of
> course as always the real technology driver is likely to be making it
> easy and convenient to sort your porn collection.
>
> tim
> --
> Oxymorons: Clearly misunderstood

And this one... Nothing to say. Genial. I like it :)

    Adam