Can Squeak be faster than Java? Yes :-)

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 22:26:34 UTC 2007

Hi Klaus,

On 2/16/07, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I think that the main reason for this difference is the heavy string
> processing in the vendor's libraries, once per exception thrown.

yup. In JVM implementations, the link to the meta level is not as
direct as in Smalltalk VMs. This explains why Squeak is better off
than Java.

VW still being *much* better is interesting, though. Perhaps the JIT
compiler kicks in, or the interpreter is much smarter. In Squeak, it
can't, and in Java, it doesn't. (At least here: Macbook Pro running OS
X, Apple JVM 1.5.0_07, verified by running the "benchmark" both with
"java" and "java -Xint".)

Could someone with access to VW VM internals please tell me what
happens in there? I'm curious. :-)

Best,

Michael