Sophie, Croquet; Croquet, Sophie (was:New WeeklySqueak Record)

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 21:26:57 UTC 2007

Josh wrote:
> ... Tim suggested that it might be more interesting to embed
> Croquet within Sophie than vice versa.  I'm in favor of embedding
> each in the other, but I'm not quite clear on how the Croquet-in-
> Sophie embedding would work, and decided that it might be simpler to
> examine the case of webcam-in-Sophie (which shares many of the issues
> of Croquet-in-Sophie) ...

Might I suggest a slightly different model, which might be equally
unrealizable, but is at least fairly easy to visualize.  This would be
a serialized Croquet world with a provision for some initial method to
be run when the world is loaded, similar to a Squeak Project, and sans
the collaboration aspect altogether.  A webcam-in-Sophie could be just
a saved movie version.  I suppose I should inquire about a membership
in the Flat Earth Society while I'm at it ;-)

I could see using a collaboration technique both for building and
viewing a Sophie book, but like Josh, I'm not sure what turning the
page of a Sophie book to suddenly become part of a collaboration space
simulation would be like, unless you're talking about encapsulating an
evening in Paris (or a rocket to Mars, or a run from a T-Rex) setting
together with other viewers.  Like many games, it would only have the
illusion of free movement, but actually only allow certain paths and
certain destinations.  I guess I'm just daydreaming here.