Brad Fuller throws his hat in the ring

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Sun Feb 18 22:37:38 UTC 2007

Well.. this is cool... 11 candidates for the SqF Board elections. I hope
that count is correct - we've had a flurry of candidates in the last
couple of days.

Please add me to that list!

* About Me:
I'm not a professional programmer. I compose music and design sound
effects for a living, although I use Squeak, C and Java to create audio
tools for our internal use (I'm forced to use C and Java on mobile
phones.) In the past I've also written several real-time audio
applications, including a real-time OS for arcade games on custom
hardware. I'm currently creating a commercial application using Squeak.
I'm also on the Squeak web team, the newly formed PR team and on the
Steering Board of the Interactive Audio SIG (part of the MIDI mfrs
association.)

* What the Board should do:
- As you may know, I believe Squeak should be made more accessible to
users. I'm glad to see new "developer tool" ideas and projects. But, I
don't believe there are enough applications for end-users, and that is a
shame. I would like to see the board develop initiatives that support
the development of new user apps (even a bullet-proof commercial image
base would be great) in addition to making forward progress in the
various research and developer projects.

- We advertise Squeak as a multimedia authoring tool. But, I think it's
a bit forgotten in regard to audio, video and graphics. Yes, it has
great potential but it needs some cleanup and a few new applications
that can really show off the multimedia capabilities of Squeak. I'd like
to see the board develop initiatives for the advancement of multimedia
on Squeak.

- For the future, and along the idea of the dynabook dream, I'm very
jazzed about the NSF Grant that Alan, Dan, Yoshiki, Ian and Andreas
proposed. I'd like to see the Board create initiatives to help the
Squeak community support their effort.

- I believe the board has done a great job of bootstrapping themselves.
The monthly reports have been great and as a user and supporter of
Squeak, I see great progress. I think the board can be more proactive
about their progress and where they are headed. I propose that the SqF
Board build a better presence on the SqF website to:
  - Promote the Board
  - State their goals and how they will achieve these goals
  - Provide dynamic updates of the current progress toward their goals.
  - Provide a place where team leaders and others can provide updates to
their individual projects.

- I'd like to see the board have more visibility in the larger open
source development community. Being associated with, or having a
presence at, community events (such as Smalltalk Solutions Conf.) could
help promote Squeak to other developers and open up avenues to funding.

Can the board do all this? Probably not. I really don't know how much
influence the Board has, yet. It's still at a point of learning about
itself and it's influence in the developer community. But I do believe
the board should be an advocate of the various needs of the Squeak
developer *and* user community and provide guidance that an otherwise ad
hoc group can not provide.

Thanks for listening and don't forget to vote!

brad