election details (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Candidates")

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Feb 19 17:51:29 UTC 2007

Hi Ron--

> We have a short time to find out more about these candidates before
> the election. I will be sending the same questions to each candidate
> and will publish a final article...

     You posed a set of candidate questions earlier which were quite
loaded; in particular, they conveyed a certain point of view of yours,
and effectively asked whether or not the candidate agrees with you. :)
This didn't seem so good. Much better (but potentially a lot of work),
would be to compile a set of top-asked questions from the community, a
la Slashdot. I don't think it's right for one person to claim authority
for deciding what questions to ask. Certainly the questions could be better.

> In the mean time I encourage people to support your favorite
> candidate! Please post a recommendation for your favorite candidate,
> include details about that candidate that people may not know.

     Hm, I'm not sure this is such a great idea either. :)  As a voter,
I'm most interested in what each candidate is motivated to say on their
own behalf. And the candidates should probably decide what new facts
about themselves to present. It seems most fair to let the candidates
speak for themselves.

> It is sometimes difficult for people to talk about themselves so I
> encourage you to help.

     I think that's a good point; I think a better way to go about it
would be for interested voters to contact their favorite candidates
directly and suggest strengths for them to emphasize when addressing all
of us.

     Another thought about the "None of the Above" candidate. If NA
doesn't displace anyone from winning (i.e., for this election, seven
people beat "NA"), then there doesn't seem to be any reason to reveal
NA's ranking; all it may do is hurt the feelings of anyone ranked lower.

     Finally, it seems most fair to list candidates in alphabetical order.

     thanks again!

-C

--
Craig Latta