Towards a better IDE in Squeak

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Tue Feb 20 08:47:46 UTC 2007

"An IDE which makes it easy to focus on your work while hiding the
complexity of the things you are not interested in."

Most IDEs seem to think that people only work on a single class (or
hierarchy) at a time. But this is not the case, of course. Sometimes
it is true, but more often than not you are working on a couple of
classes that collaborate. In that you would ideally like to see only
these classes, and then only the parts of these classes that have to
do with the behaviour you are working on. What makes this hard is
that this is something which changes rapidly over time. One minute
you are working on extending a double dispatch scheme, the minute
later you are changing the implementation of a related class to
implement a singleton pattern, etc.

A number of cool browsers that I know of that try to support these
ideas (sorry for all of those that  I am forgetting, it is just as an
illustration):
- whisker : since you can easily work on those methods that interest
you and edit these and only these. So you have less overhead in
dealing with the methods you are not interested in at the moment.
Disadvantage is that setting up a good working context is sometimes
expensive
- the Traits browser: collapses information but allows you to expand
it to have a more detailed view.
- The classification browser/StarBrowser/Intensive environments: the
goal is to make it easy to set up and really use working contexts
(e.g. all classes participating in a visitor design pattern) to break
the tyranny of predefined relations used in most browsers (e.g. you
can view classes according to their package or by inheritance or
sorted by name, and that is it).

Note that from my experiments analyzing the behaviour of students
wiorking with VisualWorks (through an extended version of my
SmallBrother tool that would track what window was being used and
being spawned from what other window in order to perform a certain
action), there seem to be two kinds of users: one that like to have
multiple windows open and those that like an Eclipse-like approach
with only one window full-screen and buffers/tabs/views. Might be
obvious, but it really seems to be the case.