Towards a better IDE in Squeak

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:06:45 UTC 2007

Il giorno Feb 20, 2007, alle ore 9:47 AM, Roel Wuyts ha scritto:

> "An IDE which makes it easy to focus on your work while hiding the
> complexity of the things you are not interested in."
>
> Most IDEs seem to think that people only work on a single class (or
> hierarchy) at a time. But this is not the case, of course.
> Sometimes it is true, but more often than not you are working on a
> couple of classes that collaborate. In that you would ideally like
> to see only these classes, and then only the parts of these classes
> that have to do with the behaviour you are working on. What makes
> this hard is that this is something which changes rapidly over
> time. One minute you are working on extending a double dispatch
> scheme, the minute later you are changing the implementation of a
> related class to implement a singleton pattern, etc.

One thing which is rather hidden in squeak is the "recent
submissions" browser, which is a message list containing the last 20
changed methods. It is under world menu/changes/"browse recent
submissions ..." . It also keeps up to date and is rather useful to
have handy.

Also one idea I had but never got to implement is a browser which
would be a mix between the whisker browser and .... iTunes. You would
have columns like a normal browser, except you could do
multiselection in them, and display several methods in the lower
pane. That would be a simple way to select a "working set" of
methods. Which you could then save as a 'smart coding
playlist' (which brings us to the starbrowser too ..., but the multi-
selection if done right would make it easy to select and view several
methods.).

	Romain

--
Romain Robbes