Squeak People Certification

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Feb 20 21:01:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:37 +0100, karl wrote:
> But if I as apprentice was the only one certifying Dan as anything, and
> I certified him as master would he be able to vote in the Squeak election?
> Or would he only enjoy my appreciation ;-)
> Karl

To put it simply, if yours is the only certification for someone else
then that other person will be certified up to either your level or the
level you specified for them, whichever is lowest.  So if you are an
apprentice, and you certify Dan as Master (and yours is the only
certification) then Dan will be certified as an Apprentice.  Apprentice
is sufficient to allow voting.

It gets more complex than this when there is more than one
certification, but in any case getting Apprentice status is a very low
bar for receiving voting privileges.  I am in the habit of certifying
anyone up to Apprentice level who

A. I either recognize from the mailing list or squeak-dev IRC or some
other Smalltalk-related context.

B. Includes a comment that shows some knowledge of Squeak or Smalltalk
in general.

C. Links to a webpage that at least mentions Squeak or Smalltalk in a
reasonable way.  Note that I go so far as to find references in foreign
languages I can't even read and tend to give them the benefit of the
doubt.

Ken