The DependentsArray strikes back

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Feb 21 23:05:53 UTC 2007

Hello list,

well, it is not very clever to post a technical subject into a flow of
political ones, and this can well be lost unanswered...
but i feel like technical is relaxing sometimes.

THE DISEASE:

Have you ever been annoyed by the class comment pane in regular browser
disappearing at next image startup?

Maybe i'am the last user of regular browser, but at least it annoys me.

THE DIAGNOSTIC:

Guess what? the guilty is DependentsArray

THE CURE:

Good news: a cure is at http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2701 waiting
for harvesting for months.  I was very happy to rediscover it again...

THE DETAILS:

Technically, #size is redefined incompatibly with #at:, so each and
every SequenceableCollection method based on (1 to: self size do: [:i |
(self at: i) doSomething]) constructs is potentially broken. That is to
say about 50% at first glance.
So i started to reimplement most used messages into DependentsArray...
This is plain stupid, and i feel like DependentsArray should better be
in another hierarchy, or use some traitified protocol not based on
to:do:, but at least, it works.

That's all folks