[From the soapbox:] election details *PLEASE READ*

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 22 08:17:21 UTC 2007

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> C'mon :) Isn't this the same with a) Interpreter, b) Seaside, c)
> Compiler & NewCompiler, d) Monticello, e) Morphics, f) <put your's here>

Not sure which part you are referring to here. Whether you mean the
number of people really understanding those systems, or whether you mean
that the self-implementing part, or whether you mean that the usefulness
of any of the above is intrinsically tied to an tool dependency.

> I understand and share parts of your critique, in fact Traits seems to
> be more at the heart of "it" and lacks efficient tool support but, try
> to make a substantial change to a) - f) or ask more than the respective
> dozen of people to describe, in understandable terms, how these a) - f)
> effectly work: absolutely no difference, nil, zero, zippo.
>
> No offense intended, Andreas. But Traits is no exception the way it can
> be interpreted from your postings.

You are of course right. If you interpret it that way, it's not correct.
My criticism is elsewhere: I am very upset about how much harder it is
to understand traits than any of the things you mention above. I went
through the NewCompiler in an afternoon, Seaside took me weekend, I
actively hacked on Monticello. In all of these cases I was able to
navigate and learn a large and completely unknown (and sometimes not too
pretty) code base in a very reasonable amount of time.

In the traits implementation I failed miserably, and I am not quite sure
why. That is my criticism of traits. And it is quite possible that this
is related to insufficient tools, but I'm sorry, if I can't understand
how things ought to work then I won't be able to help building tools for it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas