Expected Failures Survey

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 23 05:47:54 UTC 2007

Keith Hodges wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone actually uses the #expectedFailure
> mechanism in SUnit as is?

We have used it in Croquet to point out known differences between platforms.

> TestResult appears to me to be needlessly complicated by the whole
> concept of expected this and unexpected thats.

As a user (and not an implementor) the complexity doesn't disturb me one
bit. If it can be tidied up it's certainly great but if that means
breaking the test framework I'm not to fond of the idea.

> If there is an alternative way of categorising and running expected
> failures, would anyone object if TestResult were simplified somewhat?

If the only benefit is a simpler implementation I fail to see the value
of the change for the people whose code this breaks. How about making it
simpler and keeping it compatible instead?

Cheers,
   - Andreas