A practical problem for Traits (hopefully :)

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Feb 23 07:18:41 UTC 2007

Some time ago I stepped through the process of applying a new software
layer to an existing package, without creating mutual dependency. The base
package is Todd's excellent html+css parser+DOM

- http://www.squeaksource.com/htmlcssparser

I used the W3 spec for designing the new software layer

- http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html
- http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html

The result is attached. It consists of Traits and the intended users of
it. As yet no new method has been written; that's a bit too much for me at
the moment. I still have not decided what to use, Morphic or Tweak. But if
one of the layout experts would explain to me how to layout html+css in
the Morphic or in the Tweak world then I'm sure this project can benefit
 from your expertise.

As can be seen from the attached source code, W3's "modules" when
implemented as Traits can be attached easily to Todd's fine classes,
without any side effect, in a Monticello-friendly fashion. And if someone
would decide to get rid of such "crap" then the Traits can as well be
deimplemented without any side effect.

It's also easy to imagine that from here on more than *two* developers can
work on the same project; for example one on the hmtl-lists, another on
the html-forms, etc, without disturbing each other. And if one of them has
a requirement, master package-owner has the power to rule. What else can a
Squeaker want :)

The above can perhaps be used for debating Traits in Squeak. Fur sure the
html+css engines belong to the most complicated pieces of software in this
time on this planet. They do, in *parallel*, multiple http sessions,
layout of parts, user interaction, security tasks, scripting, plug-in
instantiation, resource constraints, etc, only for loading *one* single
page from the web.

I would appreciate if the Traits discussion could be directed towards
practical solutions for this practical problem. I hope that the html+css
project can benefit from your expertise, experience and opinion.

/Klaus