Looking for old Smalltalks for DOS

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Fri Feb 23 16:04:31 UTC 2007

Franz-

On Feb 23, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Franz Josef Konrad wrote:

> That's right. Smalltalk V286 is running in a full graphical
> environment. Have a look here: http://squeak.sava-systeme.de/
> smt-286.jpg
> As you can see from Date today it is pretty fresh and in good
> shape ;-).
> So if you are looking for a text based version of /V I can't help.

Well, I'm not specifically looking for a text-based version of
Smalltalk/V- I just can't remember for sure what that other version
of Smalltalk is. I purchased it used when I made frequent trips to a
local computer store scouting for any used software that had to do
with programming/IDEs, etc. Speaking of which, that is certainly
something you don't see anymore- computer stores that sell used
software.  But, unlike my Smalltalk/V disks, I can't find the disks
of this mysterious other Smalltalk I once purchased.

Jon's mention of Methods sounds familiar, that may have been it.

> Btw, Is there a gallery with screenshots of various smalltalk
> images anywhere? A couriosity perhaps would be this one: http://
> squeak.sava-systeme.de/jigsaw.jpg
> It was the try to merge VisualWorks with VisualSmaltallk Enterprise
> but as you know it never got into production.

Definitely interesting! I don't know of any site like that, but it
would be fun to work on compiling one! Especially if we could get
access to some of the software and create new screenshots, direct
comparison shots. Something like a GUIdebook entry for Smalltalks
over the years ( GUIdebook =  http://www.guidebookgallery.org/
screenshots ).

> If anybody has a ready to use virtual machine (VMware etc.) with OS/
> 2 3 running I would be interested. I have some old VSE OS/2 images
> I would like to run again.

Unfortunately, I can't help you there! I've very fond memories of OS/
2 2.1, though I never had Warp 3 or 4.

Regards,
Aaron