relational for what? [was: Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited]

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 2 21:16:22 UTC 2007

Of course. No question.  Except, of course, where they don't. The 3-tier
enterprise software scenario is -- to me -- an example of it NOT working.

I used to write expert system software. A fellow once asked, "But
couldn't I do that with Fortran?" The answer was, "Yes, and you could do
it with pencil and paper, too, but you wouldn't want to."

There's a whole bunch of problems for which pencil and paper are good
enough, but maybe not ideal. Same for RDBMS. And there's all sorts of
practical considerations in this range. Worse is Better, End to End, and
whatever you like. No one is (I hope!) going to walk away from a
solution in-hand that is good enough.

There are also problems for which pencil and paper really aren't suited
for. Same for RDBMS. They can be made to work with the great expenditure
of resources, chewing gum, bailing wire, duct tape, vise grips, etc. And
half of all enterprise IT projects fail. And yet even with this
knowledge, there's still a 50% chance that you can make an RDBMS work on
the wrong kind of problem if you throw enough money at it.

What I'm trying to do -- and of course, this isn't a Squeak question at
all, but I hope it is a Squeak community question -- is try to learn
what domain a perfectly running RDBMS is a good fit for by design,
compared with a perfectly running alternative (even a hypothetical one).

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
mailto:hstearns at wisc.edu