relational for what? [was: Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited]

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 21:01:40 UTC 2007

>From: Marcel Weiher <marcel at metaobject.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: relational for what? [was: Design Principles Behind
>Smalltalk,Revisited]
>Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:08:29 -0800
>
>Well, I have worked in a large-ish enterprise and my experience was  that
>moving *away* from the RDB was central to improving performance  around a
>hundred- to a thousandfold, with the bigger improvement for  the project
>that completely eliminated the RDB.
>
>Har har.  Sorry, but I have seen very few actually reusable data models.
>
>You are kidding, right?

Who are you people getting for DBA's? :)

>>Oh, but you found one example where someone with a lot of data  didn't use
>>a RDB.  I guess we can throw the whole technology sector  in the trash.
>>Sanity check:  google is trying to keep a current  snapshot of all
>>websites and run it on commodity hardware.  You  could do exactly the same
>>thing with a lot less CPU's using a highly  tuned, distributed RDBMS.
>
>That's a big claim, mister.  Care to back it up?

And how do you propose I do that?  I worked at a very very large retailer
for most of my career and they kept basically every transaction ever for
trending purposes.  Now given the size of that company I would say it has to
be at least as large as Google's data (probably quite a bit bigger).  Now
they didn't turn over queries in fractions of a second, but keep in mind the
general kind of queries they were dealing with.  If they were limited to a
subset of possible queries like Google is, I believe they could produce
comparable times.