relational for what? [was: Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited]

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:53:18 UTC 2007

>From: Marcel Weiher <marcel at metaobject.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: relational for what? [was: Design Principles Behind
>Smalltalk,Revisited]
>Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 20:41:58 -0800
>
>>>Are you serious with this (data too large to fit into memory)?  And  if
>>>you use a good RDBMS then you don't have to worry about disk  speed or
>>>distribution.
>
>Do you really, truly believe you don't have to worry about physical
>parameters such as disk speed just because there is an intermediate  layer
>between you and your disk(s) called a RDBMS?

Well no, someone has to worry about this.  I guess when I said RDBM*S* I
meant RDBMS *team*.

>Or are you saying that what happens is that you pay someone else to  worry
>about those parameters?

Sort of.

I just don't see the data point of "does the data fit into memory or not" as
being relavant to the discussion.  If you have relational type data and you
want to run various reports that look at the data in various different ways
for reports, what does "have it in memory" have to do with anything?
Whether it fits or not, you still have to hand write code that does
relational joins and other things to deal with it.

My last (relevant) project would have easily fit in memory, but downloading
MySQL, building 3 tables and loading up the data was *vastly* faster then
hand writing all that stuff for about 10 reports that had to be run one
time.