new packages in 3.9 universe

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 08:16:16 UTC 2007

>From: Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
>To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>Subject: Re: new packages in 3.9 universe
>Date: 05 Jan 2007 15:06:00 -0500
>
>"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> writes:
> > I assume the package setup is like it is in e.g. debian no?  For
>example:
> >
> > There is a core universe that just has the core and depends on nothing
> > (this one can be implicit)
> > There is a Socket universe that depends on only core
> > There is a Komanche universe that depends on the Socket universe
> > There is a Seaside universe that depends on the Komanche universe
> > There is a Magritte universe that depends on the core
> > There is a Pier universe that depends on the Seaside and Magritte
>universes
> > There is a Stable universe that depends on core and a few others and
> > has *lots* of optional universes (e.g. Pier)
> >
> > Is that close, or if not, is that doable?
>
>Thanks, J. J.
>
>Right now, there is just one 3.9 universe, just like with 3.7.  So, it
>is analogous to the "main" section of Debian/sid.  The idea is that
>developers can augment this with their own extension universes, much
>like unofficial apt repositories.

Aha.  I'm afraid I don't know much about the unofficial repos.   I don't
even know that much about the normal repos, I just feel I have a good
understanding of how the dependency trees worked (from a user perspective).

>How's that sound?

Well the work you have done sounds great.  I didn't mean my question to
sound like ungratefulness or something, I just wondered if the above could
be built.

>What you list above is done, but it is with *packages* not universes.
>So, the SeasidePresentation package depends on the Seaside package,
>which depends on the Komanche package.

By "packages", do you mean a concept inside your universes, or like
Monticello/Squeak Map type packages?

Thanks,