[3.9-final-7067][SqueakMap Package Loader] Can't install AST

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Jan 8 10:25:20 UTC 2007

Hi!

Yakov <iakovz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, guys!
>
> Dave, I'm on 32 bit.
> Stef, I do use default image taken from the Squeak.org.
> I think I should really follow up to vm-dev mail list
>
> Thanks
>
> PS Sorry, I've forgotten to CC to the squeak-dev..
>
> 2007/1/7, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr>:
> > may be you should try with a default image and use the squeaksource
> > file.
> > Squeaksource is better than Squeak map for certain operation.
> > Have a look at my video if you do not know how to use Monticello
> > http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/
> >
> > Stef

I would be VERY surprised if the described "BOOM" has anything to do
with SqueakMap. And the two advice given - to look at dependencies (what
has that got to do with anything?) and to use SqueakSource (again, what
has that got to do with it?) - are IMHO irrelevant. It is hardly ever
the "fault" of Squeak code that the VM goes boom.

What is more interesting is the memory issues that we have had in the
VM. Try running the Squeak VM with a memory limit and see if that
removes the issue - this has to do with the virtual placement of the
process in virtual memory IIRC.

This issue normally reared its ugly head when we did ImageSegment
when you install packages).

regards, Göran