John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Jan 10 18:33:35 UTC 2007

I think that this may be a smart move from Apple's point of view.
I'm sure that the 200 patents that they applied for don't cover
everything, and that after a year or two of exclusive access to their
own platform they'll be able to patent "the rest" of the UI
techniques that they haven't invented yet.  It may basically be a
phone right now, but who knows where they still plan to take it.  Why
let third parties in on the action immediately?  There will be plenty
of time to re-evaluate whether to let third parties on board, and in
the meantime I'm sure that they'll sell plenty.

To me, this highlights another instance of the patent system not
fulfilling its original purpose, namely to catalyze innovation.
There are plenty of bright people who could invent patentable UIs for
this new class of device, but because of the high barriers to entry
everyone else has to sit on the sidelines while Apple generates new
patents at their leisure (of course, this is a simplification).  Of
course, you can't fault Apple for using the rules of the game to
maximally leverage their very real innovation, especially not in a
competitive environment where some of the less-innovative players
happen to wield big clubs with words like "Monopoly" carved into them.

Josh