OpenGL/3D

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:56:04 UTC 2007

Josh wrote:
>Why not just use the Croquet image (if not Croquet itself)?  It's
>hardly distinguishable from a 3.8 image.

I can tell you from personal experience that if all you want to do is
experiment with 3D in Squeak, the Croquet environment is less than
ideal.  The structure that has been added to support the primary
collaboration aspect of Croquet makes it a complicated environment.

While I have now somewhat figured out how to deal with the Croquet
environment, and collaboration does have its own attraction and
rewards, I would still like to see a simplified non-collaborative 3D
environment that takes advantage of the Croquet code base and uses
Tweak as the 2D component for text, menus, etc.  This would make use
of the most current OpenGL support available for Squeak, have a fairly
complete tool set for 3D development, and generally have higher
performance than the collaborative Croquet worlds.

Actually, Bert provided some code for Jasmine a while back that
provides an OpenGL CPlayer that can be used inside a Tweak Project in
the Croquet image that pretty much does all this, but I haven't gotten
it to work in the (Hedgehog) SDK yet.