For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 12 16:25:53 UTC 2007

Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> writes:
> Ralph Johnson wrote:
> >>         From "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" page 190
> > This is hate-mongering, pure and simple.  Please do not post it to
> > this list.
> > -Ralph Johnson
> >

> this looks more like a bunch of interesting facts IMHO.
>
> I do not see any hatred here, but I understand the analysis can be
> disappointing to people believing in mercantilist "charity".

presents things as facts that no one could possibly know.  For
example, part of the argument is about PR strategy.  How does anyone
know, for sure, what that might be?

I am all for diffusing hero worship.  However, let's not just, well,
hate-monger.  If we're going to mob up on something, how about we mob
up on, oh, how cool the OLPC is.  :)

-Lex