Emergency evaluator: "save and exit" command?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jan 12 19:06:55 UTC 2007

On 11-Jan-07, at 7:32 PM, John Ersatznom wrote:

> Recovered how?

About 40% down the World menu you'll see 'changes'. click there and a
new menu will appear - near the bootom it says 'recent log file..'
and clicking that will open of recent image save/quit events. If you
click on any one of those the system will scan the changels log
forward from that time/date and give you a browser with each do it
and method save you did. You can do a variety of things to re-install
the ones you want. A common situation would be re-installing
everything but the last few methods you changed since there is a good
bet the last one cased the crash!

> Someone else mentioned using Monticello for version control. That
> is what I had been doing in fact, but I hadn't actually had it
> export anything yet, since of course I didn't have anything usable
> yet, and I don't want to be at "version 56" of something before
> it's even finished (normally, a basic finished product is version 1
> is it not? :))

Good grief John, nobody cares what MC version number stuff is. MC is
there to store your work as you do it. When it reaches a state where
you want to release a version you can save a package with a new name
and even call version 1.0 if you want.

> This situation indicates a more general issue with the entire
> system. There are clear advantages to combining the development
> environment and the run-time environment, but there are clear
> disadvantages too, such as that things going wrong can b0rk the
> debugging tools and development environment. That the normal
> defensive practise of frequent saves with ctrl+S doesn't really
> protect you is another issue. (Unless these are written immediately
> to the changes file, without delay, and it really is easy to
> recover them.)
Your code isn't 'saved' it is compiled and a copy written to the
changes log. This is not like editing C code and compiling a bunch of
files later. We moved on from that quaint approach a while back :-)

I won't tackle Morphic issues since I simply don't et to play in that
area.

tim
Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.