Could we fix the web site

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue Jan 16 15:52:10 UTC 2007

Filip Stadnik wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Well, today the load speed is quite fast for me too.

great

> Though, if I understand it correctly, the functionality is implemented
> as a reference to javascript, generated by PHP script
> (may-be-on-the-fly) in a foreign web site:
>
> <script language="JavaScript"
> src="http://feed2js.org//feed2js.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fweeklysqueak.wordpress.com%2Ffeed%2F&chan=title&num=5&desc=55&date=y&targ=y"
>
> type="text/javascript"></script>
>
> When the traffic from feed2js.org slows down significantly the above
> script execution delays too. This may result in an overall rendering
> slowdown or postpone rendering of certain components entirely as
> happened in my case yesterday.
>
> If there is a php interpreter on the box it may be a good idea to
> install feed2js.php to the squeak.org machine to minimize the
> dependence on external, perhaps not so reliable, components.
>
> If not, we can do the feed transformation in smalltalk.
>
> What do you think?

My personal opinion is to use feed2js.org to feed the news. If someone
in the webteam wants to migrate the code over to our own box, that's
fine with me. It is freely available on their site with instructions. I
looked at it and it would take some work, though.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com