Stack reification and JIT interaction question

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Fri Jan 19 10:25:46 UTC 2007

Hi

We have a deep discussion on execution stack reification and we want
to know if there is
a difference between the blue book and VW.

Basically I wrote in a article that in Smalltalk the execution stack
is causally connected and reified on demand.
	- causally connected because if I change the object that represents
the stack the stack changes (as show
	by the example below)
	- reified on demand measn that the stack is not always a first class
objects that
	I can access via message sends but only when thisContext is used or
exceptions.

Lukas told me that in Squeak this is always an object and that the
blue book shows that too.

So I wanted to know in VisualWorks in presence of a JIT if this is
the case.
My question basically is when a method is executed in the assembly,
is it a smalltalk object,
can we send it messages (I thought not).
Is the stack reified only when using thisContext?

Is this correct?

Stef

test 1
	self test2.
	Transcript show: 'Called test2'; cr

test2
	self test3
	Transcript show: 'Called test3' ;cr

test3
	thisContext sender: thisContext sender sender