Fabrik

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Jan 24 23:41:06 UTC 2007

>A useable version of Fabrik is available in older versions of Squeak, and there is a demo project showing the construction of a class browser in Morphic using Fabrik. I can't remember what versions of Squeak have it or when they took it out, but I think it may have been at the 3.0 change over.  Try a Squeak 2.8 for an image that has Fabrik and is quite solid.
>
>Though someone might be able to correct me on Fabrik- maybe it made it to 3.0, but I"m quite sure it isn't in 3.2.
>
>I don't know if they ever *finished* it, but it is finished enough for the demos I've seen.

The Squeak Fabrik that I did was just a sketch -- but enough to build a browser in 5 minutes.  I kept intending to revisit this when Ned had Connectors working, but then got busy with other stuff.  It shouldn't take more than a day (maybe a week if it's new to you) to get the 2.8 stuff working in a modern image.  Then there are a bunch of demos you should try for fun (and to shake it down).  At least two things should be completed that will take a bit more work:

	The edit view/user view switch that lets you hide the wires and other stuff
		when running as an application, and
	Storing the layout and wiring in the application class.  This makes it a UI builder
		since all you have to do is fileOut and fileIn to another Squeak
		to export hat application.

 It's really simple, guys, and I'd be happy to kibitz if someone wants to get it going.  It's incredibly fun to play with, once it's working.

	- Dan