Fabrik

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Thu Jan 25 07:00:14 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller <brad at bradfuller.com>  wrote...

>Thanks Dan. I looked in 2.8, but didn't find it. Would it be under
>another class name?

"it" does not exist.  The Fabrik that ran in 2.8 was simply an environment for hooking together components.  It turns out that the code has been in every Squeak release from 2.8 to 3.9 in the category Morphic-Components or similar.  However, I can't vouch for it working in anything more recent than 2.8 (or even that -- it goes back to 2.4 or earlier;  I haven't checked completely).

If you want to find it in 2.8, go to the project 'Play with me 6' and open it.  There you will see a browser built in Fabrik -- ie it was assembled by dropping components into a layout and wiring them together.  You may find it instructive to inspect the model of the layout (the morph that is the enclosing frame).  Each time you drop a new component into the layout, it adds a new instvar to the model.

If you want to try playing with it be warned that the UI is poor right now.  Step 1 is to choose 'new morph...' from the screen menu and keep that menu available.  Then choose Component>LayoutComponent to create a new Layout (ie Fabrik frame).  Then choose, eg, PrintComponent to drop a printcomponent into the layout.  From there on, most of what you can do will get you in trouble without a guide.

I've got to play with it some more myself in order to remember enough to write a short tutorial.  I'll try this weekend, but if someone else already knows or figures it out, feel free to step in.  Use shift-click to draw a wire out from a pin, and pins on the left of a component with a menu are problematic.  I try to move them as soon as possible ;-).

Have fun

	- Dan