Good news for PDA Squeak- Nokia's giving me a new N800!

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Sun Jan 28 04:02:42 UTC 2007

Hello again!

This isn't incredibly useful, but it's still happy news.  Nokia
recently released a follow up to the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet (a
lowish powered PDA with a beautiful hi-res screen running Linux)- the
Nokia N800.  The N800 is mostly the same thing, but it does have a
faster CPU- 330 MHz vs the 220 MHz of the Nokia 770.

As a part of the release, Nokia is giving 500 770 developers and
evangelists a $300 for purchasing a Nokia N800 at the low price of
$99.  I was chosen as one of those developers to receive one of these
almost-free Nokia N800s because of my presence in the #maemo IRC
channel (on irc.freenode.net) and work with PDA Squeak.  I didn't
know it at the time, but evidentially people have noticed our work
(thanks Gerald and Onne!), and my work in using Squeak on the 770.
I've talked a lot about Squeak in the #maemo channel and shared my
personal goals and use of Squeak and why I think it is a good fit for
the Nokia Internet Tablet platform.

So, in some way, Nokia thinks that Squeak and Dynapad/Squeak PDA
stuff is important!  Boooya!

As an aside, I'm debating what I should do with my Nokia 770 when I
get my new N800.  If there is anyone here on the list that would find
a Linux-based handheld device with a 220 MHz CPU and 800x480 screen
useful for their work, please shoot me an email with a short
description of what you want to do with the Nokia 770 and how much
you'd be willing to pay for it.  The 770 goes for $360+ new, but if
there is someone out there for whom a 770 would bring them into the
world of Squeak PDA hacking, maybe someone with whom I could
collaborate, I'd be willing to part with it for something much less.

Regards,
Aaron