Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend

Derek O'Connell doconnel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:37:35 UTC 2007

Brad, you read my mind! IMHO Squeak does not cater for the "casual
user" or anyone not immediately interested in programming. There is an
unhealthy bias in the community towards improving the guts of Squeak
while the needs of casual/non-programming users are almost completely
ignored.

I like your list of applications but would like to suggest these:

- A web browser where elements of the page can be dragged out into
user defined pages and retain their context. User page/s may then be
available for browsing by friends.

- Media management for music, photo's and video's.

- Multi-mode Communications: something that makes it easy say to grab
email/phone messages/ home web cam images, etc, and route to different
formats/channels.

- Social networking tools

I think the above just about encapsulates what most people are up to
and/or interested in doing. Combined with a graphical method of
routing data between objects (Connectors/Fabrik-like but in a way that
delays having to tackle Smalltalk until requirement demand it) I
believe this would entice a lot of new users and that a fair
percentage would then happily go on to investigate the rest of the
environment. And even if they don't, this type of effort can only help
to increase Squeak/Smalltalk visibility.

I'd happily join any team effort but at the moment I am still at the
stage where I even struggle to find explicit information on Morphs,
Players, Costumes and the like :-(