3dot11?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Jul 3 11:17:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 19:19 +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2007/7/2, Michael Rueger <michael at impara.de>:
> > Damien Cassou wrote:
> >
> > > What about a 100% free access to the official repository? Everyone
> >
> > Oh, you mean software development by anarchy?
> >
> > Great idea...
>
> Yeah, works pretty well for Seaside. A Squeak package several people
> make a living of.

Sorry, phillipe, I don't agree. I like the open source way of doing
things (I'm doing it for over 10 years now) but there are problems.
Taking seaside as an example is not a good comparsion. There are
3 to 4 developers in average which contribute to the repository with
one unofficial leader which is Lukas. That is more the way a project
is organized from the top. As long as very few people are contributing
and one which is reviewing the changes and integrates them into the
trunk everything is fine. Furthermore the seaside developers are more
open to change seaside the way they like.
I think you need just a few more developers changing code slightly
more often that code reviewing and integration is rendered impossible.
This leads very quick to a situation where code reviewing is fulltime
job and I doubt anyone is willing to take it. If there is nobody which
does this work it leads to a situation where each developer is his
own branch including from others only what he needs/likes.

And we have a lot of squeak branches right now.

Just my 2 cents,

Norbert