The land of the Mice, a bedtime story

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Jul 3 21:42:41 UTC 2007

Hi Derek--

> Squeak == Spoon == Squeak?

     I intend that Spoon be the basis of a future major release of
Squeak (e.g., Squeak 4). I talk a bit more about this in the FAQ section
of [1].

> Then there's SqueakDev, SqueakLight, all the various "official"
> releases/versions, etc, etc.

     I think it's reasonable to say that only what you find at
http://squeak.org is official. No one has claimed that the variants you
mention are official.

> No surprise then that the last time I suggested to someone to take a
> look at Squeak I got the response "Which one?".

     Well, the best answer is probably "the official one, Squeak 3.9
final at squeak.org".

> With respect Craig...

     Uh-oh. ;)

> ...I appreciate the thought that you and others put into the more
> fundamental aspects (as well as the legal aspects) but I think the
> "board" should put some effort into a road-map that explains how
> various efforts relate and where things such as Spoon fit in to the
> overall picture.

     Okay, you're asking us to take on some of the tasks of the release
team. That's not unreasonable; we haven't done it yet because we simply
don't have enough available time to reach consensus about it. That's why
we delegated the task to a separate release team.

     If you want *me* to give you a roadmap, hey, no sweat, I'll give
you one. :)

> I have always assumed Spoon to be your pet project to do things as
> *you* prefer and/or for your own purposes.

     No, I'm trying to create something usable by everyone (a kernel).

> I'm not aware of any group input into Spoon's design.

     I discuss every significant bit of progress. I ask for feedback
constantly. I make public releases. I ask for feedback constantly.
There's a Spoon mailing list. I ask for feedback constantly. :) What
more can I do? You can't force anyone to spend energy (nor would you
want to).

     I will note, though, that you just came dangerously close to
offering some input into Spoon's design. ;)  Why not go all the way? :)

> That's not to say I don't like the idea of a minimal highly
> customisable/dynamic image, I do, but others could be forgiven for
> wondering if they are looking at coherent pieces of a jigsaw or
> fragments remaining from a nasty explosion :-)

     Well, if so, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that. In
particular, I think a reading of the Spoon mailing list archives is
surprisingly coherent, although it does take some patience.

> No offence intended.

     None taken; thanks!

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/current