Using a keyboard with Squeak on the Nokia 770/N800

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Wed Jul 4 19:22:19 UTC 2007

Luke,

Things have been nuts, but I do have some solutions lined up for
this. I've not been Squeaking or even on IRC much over the last month
or two, but I think (hope) things are quieting down some and have
been there more recently.

In an N800/770 image I have around here somewhere, I don't have the
buttons mapping as mouse clicks, but I have something almost as
good.  In my pda32 image I've got a side bar for switching windows, a
gesture launcher, time, etc. I added two little buttons, one red and
one blue [1] that you tap, and then tap somewhere else to get a
middle or right mouse click. It isn't perfect, but for how much I use
middle and left click, it works out. I personally would rather keep
the buttons for UI interaction, though mapped in Squeak. We could
probably find a way to do it both ways. What I use currently to do R/
M clicks is Genie- if I draw a Circle-R, the next tap it do is a
middle click; a Circle-B does a right click. This is how I bring up
halos and context menus right now and it works well enough, though
it's cumbersome enough that I added the permanent buttons on the
taskbar for it.

I'm not 100% as I checked it out a while back, but as is I'm not sure
if any of the hardware buttons except the D-pad gets seen by Squeak.
You can test this by opening Squeak, doing a 'do it' on Sensor
kbdTest and pressing buttons. If this doesn't work as I remember, we
might have some VM work to do.

I'd like to mimic what Nokia does with the hw buttons somewhat,
perhaps doing something like this:

- Back: Go back in the view, or possibly switch to window you were
last in.
- Hold Back: Close the topmost window, possibly delete the topmost
morph. When I use Squeak on a PDA, I encapsulate most naked morphs
into windows when I open them, like BookMorphs, StackMorphs, the
Genie gesture dictionary editor, etc, so mostly this is moot for me.
I imagine that other people play with naked morphs more than I do,
though.
- Menu: This I'll map to what happens on the desktop when you hit
escape- open up the context menu of the pane you're in, and if not
that the World Menu. Maybe we could just map this to a right click,
which usually would just effect the same behavior.
- Hold Menu: Open the world menu, possibly the open... menu, or a
better "Start menu" sort of thing. The latter is what I'd like to
happen, though it will be longer off, when I get around to
implementing a better 'start menu' sort of thing.
- Home: Bring up the menu for switching between apps/windows.
- Hold Home: minimize all windows and show the desktop; or, bring
forth a desktop+Today Screen (ala CE) morph, which contains a bunch
of Dashboard-like widgets, a summary of upcoming appointments, sort
of like you already have on the Nokia with the customizable page with
widgets you can add, drag around, and resize.

What I love about Squeak is that all of the stuff I just listed is so
easy. I don't know where I'd start if I had to implement a Konfab-
clone for Windows. On Squeak, it's almost all there already- add some
UI for selecting which widgets you want, resizing without halos, etc
and that's almost all you have to do. Man, I love Squeak.

Not sure about the top buttons yet. + and - would be nice a page up
and page down; the full-screen button as either just that, or maybe
some sort of click.

The most amount of work that needs to be done, and would be useful on
desktop Squeak too, is to get a better way to implement global key
commands without requiring explicit focus or pointer-hovering. Cmd-W
will close a window in Squeak, but only after I click on its title
bar to focus that part of it. That drives me nuts, almost enough to
try to tackle this pretty big issue.

Feel free to feedback on this!

[1] I'm sure I've got the colors wrong, but I never remember which
mouse click color equates to left, middle or right.  I'll look it up,
but just mentioning this so as to not confuse you if I'm using the
wrong colors. :P

Regards,
Aaron