3dot11?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 5 05:15:20 UTC 2007

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Since the one that I thought has maintainer-ship of the Graphic
> packages said this is a Morphic issue, there is nobody that feels
> responsible anymore.

Looks like I'm "it" now (since I'm "the one"), so let's review the
history of this issue:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5222

10-11-06 13:20  renggli  	New Issue
10-11-06 13:20 	renggli 	Issue Monitored: renggli
10-11-06 13:33 	renggli 	File Added: FormCanvas-reset.st
10-11-06 13:34 	renggli 	Note Added: 0007651
10-12-06 02:32 	andreas 	Note Added: 0007656
10-12-06 02:32 	andreas 	Category Balloon3D => Morphic

You originally filed a change to FormCanvas (which lives in
Morphic-Support) under the category Balloon3D. Since FormCanvas doesn't
live in Graphics-* (which is what makes this a "Graphics" issue) I filed
it in the category I felt was correct for it. I should add that I often
recategorize issues that are more broadly meant as "Graphics issue"
(like issues related to fonts, m17n and others). Since I effectively
"own" that category on Mantis I prefer to interpret it with the smallest
possible scope to keep the amount of work reasonable.

I do feel completely justified to reclassify an issue affecting
FormCanvas from Balloon3D to Morphic. If you feel that was inappropriate
I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

 From there, things get a little more difficult. A couple of days later,
you filed another, logically related (but structurally independent)
change to BalloonEngine which I actually looked at but didn't like at
all (you may not have realized that the implication of this change is
that each and every use of BalloonEngine comes with a 256k memory
allocation - even if you draw a 1x1px form) so I decided to postpone
this until the time I could sit down and work out a better fix. And this
is where that part got lost: Since it was filed under Morphic it simply
fell under my radar screen and never came up again (it's hard enough to
keep track of the issues that are filed in the categories that you
actually monitor).

I can't speak for whether someone cares about the Morphic bits but if an
issue gets filed in a category that I don't monitor it's a very good way
to make sure I won't ever look at it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas