v3dot10 wrapup?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 19:32:43 UTC 2007

v3dot10 wrapup?

Hi Ralph,

Cool.

I would recommend you officially pick a phase and have
that phase reflected in the intermediate release image
names. (according to those 7121 is an alpha)

My experience from 3dot9 was that test pilots pretty
much left things alone until later phases were reached
( gamma and candidate-for-final). 3dot9 actually went
from gamma to final at first until people on the board
pointed out you needed to disseminate a candidate to
turn up the final show stopping bugs. And there were
some really good final bugs.

It is also my hope that the ftp images will be
produced much more frequently. I have chosen not to
use up my time running into the
can’t-get-thar-from-here updating problems. On the
other hand I and others can be quite useful observing
and pointing out bugs that have gotten into the image
via the updating process. Including those caused by
the process itself (see my notes on the disappearing
changesets.)

Again thanks for your response.

P.S. I am cc'ing this to squeak-dev to see if we can
help effecting that rescue.

Cheers, -Jer

***
>[V3dot10] v3dot10 wrapup?
>

>Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
>Thu Jul 5 11:27:06 UTC 2007
>

>I think Edgar said a few weeks back that he was ready
for 3.10 to be
>in beta phase.  So, it is now in beta phase.  We are
just trying to
>fix bugs, and improve tests. Edgar is trying to fix
some problems with
>the build process.  We have a lot of failing tests
that need fixing.

>The beta phase will be indefinite.  We'll end it when
either a new
>team gets announced or we get sick of it, whichever
comes first.  I
>hope the board will rescue us.
>
>In fact, our alpha phase has been more like a beta
phase.  Edgar took
>a lot of things out of the image, but we didn't add
much.  Almost all
>of the issues that got added were bug fixes.
>
>So, one could argue that we've been in beta for a
long time, and that
>now we are in gamma.
>
>If you have a good automated testing process (which
we don't have)
>then there isn't much different between beta and
gamma.

>-Ralph
***