how to become modular

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Sat Jul 7 06:23:08 UTC 2007

On 7/6/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Colin Putney wrote:
> > To continue with the "speaking plainly" theme, I'll make it all a bit
> > more concrete. I'm working with Avi on Dabble DB. The image we use is a
> > shrunken version of Squeak 3.7. The shrinking code is based, at least in
> > part, on Pavel's work. It's not as fancy as Spoon, nor is it even as
> > good as Pavel's most recent work, since that doesn't work in Squeak 3.7.
> > But right now, today, it gives us an image with a reasonably small
> > number unneeded objects, and given that we have tens of thousands of
> > them in production, that's important.
>
> How small are they?

Not all that small - I think the base 3.7 image we're using was in the
4-5MB range, once Seaside etc is loaded into it it's more like 7.5MB,
and once all of our application code is in it's around 10MB.  So we
could do a lot better.  But it's still about half what it would be if
we based it on 3.9final.

Avi