monticello 2 (was Re: how to become modular)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:58:41 UTC 2007

2007/7/9, Avi Bryant <avi at dabbledb.com>:
> On 7/6/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am not sure what you mean by plenty of information though. There is
> > source code. Long ago I concluded that the "Avi" definition of "plenty
> > of information" differs greatly from mine. How about some white papers?
>
> That's a fair cop in general, but - there have been a number of posts
> to this list and to Colin's blog with fairly detailed explanations of
> what we were doing.  Damien has also collected some more info from us
> recently.  It's true that it's not very well organized, but the info
> is out there (as well as, of course, the source code).
>
> > This is not strictly true.
> >
> > In the spirit of incremental, and hence hopefully adoptable progress.
> > There is a version of Monticello1 which has SystemEditor from MC2 in it,
> > ready to use. It only took one day to put this in, I did it about 6
> > weeks ago, and it is ready to roll when SystemEditor works.
>
> Ah, well - SystemEditor is something apart from the rest of MC2 that
> was explicitly designed to be usable in other contexts.  So it's great
> that you put it to use but I don't think it affects the point I was
> trying to make about community buy-in.
>
> To practice what I'm preaching here: I think the right way forward at
> this point is for me to extend Monticello with some of the more
> interesting ideas from MC2 in a backwards compatible way, so that we
> can test the ideas in the wild without asking people to fundamentally
> alter their workflow.  I spent a couple of hours this weekend mapping
> out a plausible way to attack this, and I'll spend a few more turning
> that into code during the week.
>
> Since I can't easily do this as a separate add-on package, but will be
> modifying some of the basic Monticello classes - is there a version of
> MC that is most commonly used that I should start from? If nobody
> speaks up I'll be going from Monticello-avi.279, which is the latest
> on SqueakSource.

In complete selfishness I vote for Monticello-pmm.318.mcz from:
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/sm.html

There is  Monticello-RJT.299.mcz by Ron
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5217

There is Monticello-BEL.313.mcz from:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Trike.html

There is Monticello Public Modifications by Keith
http://www.squeaksource.com/mc.html

Philippe