Executing AST

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Jul 9 06:06:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 17:24 -0700, Alan Kay wrote:
> Why not just use the fact that Smalltalk can compile and execute any
> string on the fly?

Yes I recognized this after just "proving" my first idea.  I have
to take one or two other approaches as I don't like my current one.

> Also take a look at the many ways in Smalltalk to serialize and
> deserialize objects. Some of the most recent has been done by Yoshiki Ohshima.

I must confess I was too fast and too lazy (as often )while writing my
postings. I don't need serialization/deserialization exactly. I only
have objects which are persistent in a database and therefor have an
id (could be any lookup key). I just need something to dump a derivate
of the object (recognizing the object and the lookup key) and that is
able to retrieve again at a later point. The harder point is that it
would be useful to produce such derivates from a structure like a
collection or anything else. I don't know of any Smalltalk solution
which helps me on that path, do you?

Btw. serialization. I'm already an user of SIXX (but it is not from
yoshiki, right?) and this just a wonderful tool. For the current
purpose it may be to heavy weight but I'll think again about it.

What did you mean by most recent work done by yoshiki?

Norbert