Cairo/OpenGL (was Re: methods for license conversion)

Derek O'Connell doconnel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:01:42 UTC 2007

This raises a more general question of how to go about extending
Squeak, use external libraries or attempt to reproduce functionality
within Squeak. I often see-saw between the two, usually based on
performance-vs-flexibility (if I conveniently ignore questions
regarding ability/time to implement, lol). Personally I think external
libs should be used where they have reached a level of maturity... and
are free... and are available for at least the big three OS's. Plus
there are areas in Squeak that simply have not and maybe cannot keep
up with the excellent effort put into some external libs (I'm thinking
video, flash, etc, but I'm sure there are other areas).

OTOH, the more ex-libs are used the more Squeak becomes a
scripting-like tool (not a big bad thing IMHO) and the further it gets
from being the ideal computing environment with access to every level
(VM not withstanding). I drool at the idea of the latter but at the
end of the day I would choose practicality over ideals. I also detest
the idea of wasted effort, by anyone, going into "recreating the
wheel". For instance, I'm considering creating a media-centre type
image and my conclusion is it would be madness not to utilise ex-libs.

Bert, do you know if the Impara work is (or will be) publicly available?