How to get GLORP

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:56:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:48:00AM -0400, Richard Eng wrote:
>    I'm a Squeak newbie. I'm trying to get GLORP. But I'm encountering
>    *endless* problems...
>
>    First, in Squeak 3.9, I try using SqueakMap Package Loader to install
>    GLORP 0.3.138. I encounter the following error:
>
>        Error occurred during install:
>        UndefinedObject>>methodsFor:stamp:
>
>    Then I try to get GLORP off the Internet. I find it at map.squeak.org. But
>    the download is in SAR format!!!

SAR is a format that Squeak understands directly. To open a file
with squeak, either drag it from the OS into Squeak, or use the
file list (World Menu -> open... -> file list). Either way will
give you the option to open, unzip, or install the SAR package.

I tried doing this, and got the same error as you encountered
above. I noted that SqueakMap says the package is only tested in
3.8, so I tried installing it in Squeak 3.8. I got
Squeak3.8.1-7067, upgraded SqueakMap, then tried installing
GLORP port, and got the same error as before.

Next, I tried reading the package description, and it said that
it requires the Ansi compatibility package and the Posgres
package. So, Back to 3.9 I went and tried loading those two
packages. I loaded those two packages from SqueakMap, then
retried installing GLORP port from SqueakMap. This time it
got further, but it failed at Dialect>>determineDialect. I
modified Dialect>>basicIsSqueak to return true, and tried the
install again. It still failed.

On the other hand, what are you trying to do? You seem to want a
database. There are several databases Squeak supports. The
most well supported is the image itself. Next is the Magma
Object database. Also, Gemstone Smalltalk prides itself in
having the best in-image database of any Smalltalk.

Is GLORP really what you want? If so, I would recommend
trying this on Squeak3.8-6665 (noted from the GLORP
SqueakMap description):
- Open SqueakMap, and let it update itself and load Monticello
- Install Ansi Compatibility from SqueakMap
- Install PosgreSQL client from SqueakMap. The GLORP description
  in SqueakMap recommends version 0.9.2, which is not the latest.
- Install GLORP port from SqueakMap