A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:03:16 UTC 2007

On 10/07/07, Mikael Kindborg <mikael.kindborg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, now when I look at the Vera Sans fonts I use, they are not at all sharp.
> Giovanni's fonts look better, and Juan's rendering technique looks very good!

I think Juan rendered his fonts on windows, which favors sharpness at
the cost of distorting the font shapes (they align the curves to the
pixel grid).
Giovanni uses freetype or a similar algorithm which does precise font
rendering (different fonts stay recognizable at small sizes) but looks
more blurry. As a typo-and-mac-fanatic, I prefer this approach :D

Maybe the sharp rendering can be done with freetype by turning font
hinting all the way up (and using fonts with the hinting information
indeed).

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org