Polynomial Division Challenge

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu Jul 12 23:40:47 UTC 2007

For fun, just put a GolfPolynomDivision in VW public store and at squeak
source http://www.squeaksource.com/GolfPolynomDivision.html.

10000 bytes in lengthy VW xml with few comments and lenghty explicit
method  variable and class names. 7700 in traditional chunk, test included.

A factor 10 to 20 would be gained without effort, by just renaming.
Then it's getting harder.
Core algorithms for Reading/Dividing/Printing polynoms have to be improved.

Other things make Smalltalk a bad candidate for such silly games.
1) Base library names are long : having something like +, & , or <
instead of aStream nextPutAll: would help shorten a lot.
2) Class creation methods are lengthy...
3) Categories are useless for this kind of test and spoil byte-efficiency...

I did not fulfill stdin/stdout requirement. This is a must add in
Squeak, VW and other Smalltalks.

I feel like best candidate would be GNU smalltalk to compete against
these Ruby/Python/PHP/Perl oriented rules. Beside, it could be automated
on their site.

Of course, as Bert already said, the goal is stupid from the code
quality point of view. It leads to uggly unreadable code. Not the
Smalltalk spirit. But if you want to play, the repository is open for
write...

Nicolas