Better morphic architecture? (was: Re: Changing window size)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 13 21:19:16 UTC 2007

Ah, well Tim and note there were oh say in an arbitrary 3.8 image

424 uses of Display and
265 uses of Sensor

which is 689 places to visit and understand. Also each of those has
the decision
which sensor and which display to use?

In that era of Morphic is Dead, long live Tweak we decided not to do
anything.
In Tweak you ask for the world's Display or Sensor so it always has
the right context if you
tie a TweakWorld to a particular HostWindow.

Laslty I'll note Morphic was rewritten over in

http://scratch.mit.edu/

I believe under the grant rules the source should be available,
surprised  no-one has gone digging to
see if that has a better Morphic to build on?

On Jul 13, 2007, at 1:45 PM, sig wrote:

>> tR> complained for *years* about how utterly essential  host
>> windows are
>> tR> and yet in the nearly three years since we wrote Ffenestri
>> there has
>> tR> been..... <crickets>....
>>
>> It seems some of those "You guys" will have to change the whole
>> morphic
>> drawing, BitBlt whatever to paint on a HostWindow. Which looks
>> like an
>> awful lot of work. So I guess people having a need will do a bit in
>> this area and maybe it sums up one day.
>>
> A good point! There is need to make substantial changes with
> Morphic/Display infrastructure to support multiple OS windows/hardware
> Displays/Desktops.
> Current design implies that you having only single display surface and
> i find this is very archaic approach.
>
>> I'm happy to see that more and more people are on the way to use
>> Squeak commercially and not only Seaside.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net

===