Not very visible Squeak-dev set at squeak.org

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 23:44:51 UTC 2007

> So, are there any reason the download link at the top right should not
> point to squeak-dev regularly-updated and useful-for-developer image ?

Yes, there are very good reasons NOT to do this.  It disrupts a
"universal starting point" that everyone uses to describe how to get
to a particular Squeak-destination.  If a regularly-updated squeak-dev
becomes the main download link, how do you easily describe to a newbie
how to get to a particular destination when the starting point is a
moving target?

Making the squeak-dev image the main download link puts way too much
power in the hands of one person; dictating their personal IDE
preferences to entire future Squeak generations.

The possible Squeak-destinations are too varied, *vanilla* should
remain as the official starting point that people download.

The real goal here is "more visibility", not easier access.  And, even
if easier-access is the goal then solve it at the consuming side, not
the producing side.

Afterall, developers are savvy enough to handle that anyway, and it
gets newbies on board with the idea that the "scenery" in the Squeak
world can and will vary widely.

Thanks,
  Chris