Google Summer of Code Intern has Text Layout Problem

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon Jul 16 15:30:35 UTC 2007

I don't understand too well how Squeak's styled text works.  However,
my Google Summer of Code intern has some questions about it that I'm
hoping someone more knowledgeable can answer.
This is some <b>bold</b> text.

I'm sure you get that.  CSS uses a box model.  Useful diagram here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/box.html
He's trying to figure out what to do if the user creates a style that
says the b style has 20 pixel margins with a line border.  How does
he get the text to layout right and get the size/shape of the
enclosure to draw the borders?  Extra tricky if the bold section
wraps for some fraction of lines.  Is there an easy api he can use to
embed wrappers around styles such that he can fiddle the margins/
borders?

Thanks,
-Todd