Linux install - dumb questions

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Jul 20 11:25:02 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I grabbed what I believe are the correct archives from

  http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

but something doesn't quite look right to me - probably my fault.  For
example, each of

   Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
   Squeak-3.9a-7024.image.tar.gz
   Squeak-3.sources.tar.gz

have an install script that at least looks the same to me, suggesting
that they should be unpacked in the same place, making one script with
all the files for the vm, image, and sources.  But there are
version-specific paths that might be trying to get me to separate them.
Should I unpack so that everything is "aligned" (e.g. one copy of the
install script in the directory structure) or respect the minor version
number in the path names in the archives?

The next question is where to unpack.  Do the files belong in any
particular place, or can they be placed anywhere and then deleted after
running the script?

In summary, I am trying to move beyond simply getting it to work to
(hopefully) understanding why it works and how to not leave a bunch of
junk on the file system.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.