methods for license conversion

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 20 16:43:16 UTC 2007

J J schrieb:
> I must say, I agree on this.  I have looked for this for quite a while
> and I still have never seen the advantage of Morphic.  It just appears
> to me to be inconsistent, incomplete etc.  It looked like a really
> nice thing for Self, but I don't think you develop exactly the same
> way in Smalltalk as Self.  I have never been a GUI guy, but it seems
> to me that a nice, clean designed graphic system like Dolphin has can
> run circles around Morphic.  If I'm wrong, please feel free to show me
> where.  I would love to see what Morphic does bring to the table that
> other GUI frameworks don't.

Morphic is what exists for Squeak.
Alas designing and implementing a new (and powerful) GUI framework is
not an easy job. Have a look at Widgetry, VW's new GUI framework.
It has been designed and implemented for quite a long time. It took more
than a year and isn't even finished yet!
It is easy to be dissatisfied with what Morphic has become over the
years. And it is easy to talk and dream of a better world but
who has the time, energy and resources to actually do it?
There have been several attempts to enhance Morphic thus far (Zurgle
comes to my mind). None of these tries were successful (in that it is
used e.g. in Squeak itself nowadays). Most of these projects are starved
in an unfinished state. Most of them are abandoned now (at least to my
knowledge).
Oh, and what happened to Tweak? It was traded as a candidate for
replacing Morphic...

I think that refactorings, corrections and reductions in Morphic are
more promising as long as Squeak is a pet for most of the community members.

Andreas