methods for license conversion

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jul 21 09:46:50 UTC 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 1:10 AM, sig wrote:

> All this leads to bulk and poorly manageable C code. Even if someone,
> having tons of free time and dedication, will implement plugin to use
> GL, i'll still will not use it, because of reasons above.

In my experience in building plugins versus FFI calls, the number of
people willing to build plugins
and maintain them is about mmm about 4 people, or some other really
small number. If there is a
bug then the probability it will get fixed is *low* and the
probability that just anyone can fix it is even
lower. This might sound a bit harsh but it's I think reality.

However with FFI the probability that just anyone can fix a bug
becomes very high, also distributing
that fix is high too. People debate if it's slower, fine run away and
do some benchmarks. Unless you're
doing 100 million calls you won't be able to see any difference.

===