GUI Layout Expression Language

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Jul 21 16:26:07 UTC 2007

Thanks for the review.  Easy Morphic's leveraging of halos makes a lot
of sense.  The mention of trouble serializing blocks is a little
disappointing, or it is a closure problem that strikes only with dirty
blocks?  If it is more universal, is there a way to hack it such that it
keeps the code and compiles the block as part of deserialization?  Are
such errors easy to detect?

IMHO, there is a need for both graphical editing and for aids
(ToolBuilder is probably it) for scripting GUI construction.  In
Dolphin, I created tools for creating code and view prototypes from meta
data.  I would not to have to work that way for everything, but when
there are hundreds of aspects and meta data describing it all, the
programmatic approach is the way to go.

Bill

============================
Matthew Fulmer wrote:

The most recent GUI builder for Morphic is
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/EasyMorphicGUI/

Morphic was originally able to build it's own GUI's, but I guess
that feature was lost in the translation from Self to Squeak:
http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/ (video of self, including original
Morphic)

Other GUI builders have been made for Squeak, but have since
been abandoned:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/bricks
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/fabrik
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/GuiBuildingTools