Snapshotting arbitrary collections of objects

Patrick Collison patrick at collison.ie
Sun Jul 22 12:14:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

Is there any lightweight way of snapshotting the state of a bunch of
objects in Squeak, either where the collection of objects is supplied
explicitly, or computed from a root object (as in ImageSegments)? By
lightweight, I mean the snapshot would live in the memory of the
Squeak image. Ideally, I guess this would be like fork(2), with
copy-on-write, and very little overhead unless the collection is
modified.

It looks like ImageSegments could work here, except their overhead
seems pretty substantial since they do a lot of up-front copying.
Also, I think Magma could solve this, but that of course only works
for objects that are stored in the Magma odb.

Cheers,

Patrick